Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Summer's Reading - Post Reading

Post Reading - p. 49

I chose task number 2: Write a letter from George to Mr. Cattanzara ten years after the   story ends.




 November 1st, 1930                                                                       

Dear Mr. Cattanzara,

I haven't seen you in the past five years but I wanted you to know how grateful I am. I am proud to say that my lying to you was the best thing that ever happened to me, since I wouldn't have the guts to get up and start living my life, as I always wanted, if it weren't for your support and belief in me. Now I know that what I needed to do was to leave my laziness behind and start reading in order to pick up my education.

In the first year I had to constantly remind myself why I was doing it and I had your support and Sophie's that kept me going. I would never forget how excited I was when I finished reading my first book, "The Magic of Oz". I ran straight to your apartment and we talked about it during the whole night. That's when I first felt like I could do this. And I will owe you for that for the rest of my life.

Another day that I would never forget is the day I left the neighborhood for my new job as a factory worker. This wasn't the best job ever, but it was more than I had ever had in my life. I lived with four roommates in a little apartment in the middle of New York City. Even though it was hard, it was a lifetime experience. From that point, I continued to work until a better offer came along, and after it a better offer. 

Now, I am happy to say that I have achieved my goal. I'm living with my wife, Christina
 (if you want to know how we met, it is a story for a different time…), at a cottage in the middle of New York City. We are expecting a boy that will keep us busy for a while. I work as a lawyer's assistant and hope to become a lawyer myself in a couple of years. But right now, I cannot be happier. The only thing that is missing in my life is you and Sophie, and I would like us to be in touch and visit each other.

Please tell me how you're doing in your next letter and send my love to Sophie and to your family as well. 

Love, 

George Stoyonovich (or Georgie for you…)


Very good letter.
(94)
Daphna

2 comments: